Welcome to Our Issue!
From the Latin word septem, "seven," because this had been the seventh month of the early Roman calendar.
Junghyun Park has gifted us Atomix: a tasting menu for trying times, one that soothes and transports not with bullhorn but with brushstroke Atomix is Park’s follow-up to his first New York project Atoboy. But where the latter trafficked in creative and casual banchan, Atomix cranks up the ambition, offering a luxurious interpretation of Korean royal court cuisine never before seen in the U.S. “At Atomix I am thinking about technique, fermentation, about the deep flavors of Korea,” says Park, who worked in London, Melbourne, Australia, and Seoul before moving to New York to help open the Michelin-starred Jungsik. “Korean food is getting popular now—the ssam, the gochujang—but it’s still very limited. I want to deliver more about the culture.”
Chef Junghyun Park
Chef Junghyun Park
Ways to Get Vitamin "D"
"Let the Food be the Medicine" - Hippocrates
CHICAGO — It’s never been a secret that a nutritious diet influences general health. In decades past, however, most consumers took a reactionary approach to health needs, seeking medicine to treat specific conditions and only changing their dietary habits when faced with a direct threat to their well-being. Now, a growing proactive health movement is driving consumers to treat food as a means to prevent, manage and possibly even reverse certain conditions.
Hungry for more Click here
Do you have the skills to make a great coach?
- Hire the right fit for your open position
- Allowing this new employee(s) to adjust to your company culture
- Seeing their potential
- Begin grooming them to take positions that are higher than yours in the industry
- Be open to their ideas
“Mentorship is the number one reason for success”, says Daymond John, CEO of FUBU and The Shark Tank, TV Personality on ABC Shark Tank.He believes life is a series of mentors and advises not to get caught up in thinking that your mentor needs to be a celebrity. Some of the most influential people/mentors in his life were his mother, a teacher, stepfather, and a neighborhood store owner. Daymond says it will be on of the best decisions you could ever make for yourself and your business/career.
7 ways to reduce stress and keep blood pressure down
A helpful sheet for accuracy in recipe costing/ click below
Food for Thought
The Power of Peanuts
Even though “nut” is in its name, a peanut is actually a legume. Like soybeans, lentils, and other legumes, peanuts are edible seeds that grow in pods. Still, most people think of them as nuts, along with tree nuts such as walnuts, almonds, and hazelnuts. (Unlike other legumes, which grow on vines or shrubs, peanuts grow underground.)
Why Hash Your Hands?
- Handwashing education has shown to reduce FBI:
- Reduces the number of people who get sick with diarrhea by 31%
- Reduces diarrheal illness in people with weakened immune systems by 58%
- Reduces respiratory illnesses, like colds, in the general population by 16-21%
- Gloves Alone Aren’t Enough for Food Safety
- Gives a false sense of security
- Contamination of clean glove with dirty hands?
- Washing with soap and water is much more effective than washing with water alone. Soap binds to the dirt, oils, and microbes present on hands and makes it easier to wash them away. Applying soap also tends to make people scrub more thoroughly.
- Friction from lathering and scrubbing hands physically helps the soap bind to and loosen dirt, oils, and germs.
- Although the optimal length of time for handwashing may depend on factors such as the type and amount of soil, grease, and germs on hands, studies have shown that scrubbing for at least 15 seconds removes significantly more germs from hands than washing for shorter periods.
Information provided by Aminta Martínez-Hermosilla, MS
WHAT’S COOKING TODAY?
Pan Roasted Salmon / Grapefruit Vinaigrette
Think Positively (Leadership)
Is the guiding force that will help you identify your path to success by providing a strong foundation for all strategic decision-making.
Definition: Leadership is getting results in a way that inspire trust, it is maximizing both your current contribution and your ability to contribute in the future by establishing the trust that make it possible. Lead on!
That will help you stay ahead of the game.
Participative Theories of Leadership
As you think about how you exhibit genuine empathy here are five questions for you to contemplate. For more information visit: patrickmckenna.com
Form the American Culinary Federation, your chance to create spectacular dishes and contribute with inspirational new ideas.
Click below for more information:
The 2016 Menus of Change Annual Report was released at the fourth annual Menus of Change leadership summit on June 14. It includes an analysis of issues at the convergence of public health, the environment, and the business of food, plus and updated Dashboard of how the food and foodservice industries have progressed—or not—since last year’s report was issued.
The World Culinary Arts Video Series
Trends to Watch
Just like fashion, food trends come and go in the blink of an eye. Every year, we see a rise in these fads that inevitably affect the way we eat and plan our meals. From superfoods to juice cleanses, the modern dining pattern has undeniably been influenced by the presence of a health-conscious effort, which we see continuing into 2019.
Hungry for more? Visit 2019 Food Trend Predictions
If you’re feeling forgetful, it could be due to a lack of sleep or a number of other reasons, including genetics, level of physical activity and lifestyle and environmental factors. However, there’s no doubt that diet plays a major role in brain health.
The best menu for boosting memory and brain function encourages good blood flow to the brain — much like what you’d eat to nourish and protect your heart. Research found the Mediterranean Diet helps keep aging brains sharp, and a growing body of evidence links foods such as those in the Mediterranean diet with better cognitive function, memory and alertness
Learn more by visiting: Types of Foods to Help Boost Your Memory
Meeting the Demand for Safe, Natural Products
Lately, while shopping at my local grocery store, I have noticed the increasing number of food products marketed as organic or preservative-free. More and more, consumers are demanding green labels and ingredient lists they can understand. Yet food safety — preventing food spoilage and contamination from microbial pathogens — must remain a top priority for food producers. The food safety industry faces many challenges if it is to transition away from the use of refined chemicals toward more label-friendly preservatives.
By Suzanne Osborne, PhD
Wednesday, 30 April 2014
Hail to the Kale!!
Kale is one of the cruciferous vegetables, cancer fighters full of fiber and antioxidants. great addition to salads or you can bake it with a spritz of extra virgin-olive oil and sea salt for a crispy potato chip alternative.
2019 Culinary Forecast
Nutrition, Eat Better
Salt, Consuming the right amount, Most Americans consume more sodium than is good for their health, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Learn more!
8 Tips For Avoiding Gluten Cross Contamination – PrimoHealthCoach
▪ Oils that have been used to deep fry battered foods will contaminate foods like French fries. Use separate oils, and ask the chef when dining out if the same oil is used for battered foods.
▪ Cutlery, utensils and potsand pans must be thoroughly cleaned before cooking gluten-free to avoid cross-contamination.
▪ Toasters and ovens that have been used for glutenous breads can contaminate gluten-free breads. At home try to keep two separate toasters.
▪ Grills and barbecues can easily cross-contaminate foods if not properly cleaned. Many sauces used to barbecue have gluten.
▪ Sifters used for both glutenous and gluten-free flours will cross-contaminate. At home if you use both types of flour, keep separate properly labeled sifters.
▪ Your mayonnaise, peanut butter jar, jams and jellies are easily contaminated when making sandwiches.
▪ Glutenous flours have a tendency to stay airborne for some time after use. Cooking in a kitchen shortly after preparing foods with glutenous flours is risky for the sensitive person. Because of this I find it very hard to believe that you can get a truly gluten-free pizza from a pizza restaurant that makes regular pizza as well.
▪ Any foods not prepared in a gluten-free facility, including your own home, runs the risk of getting cross-contaminated.
Avocado oil; this silky fruit oil helps fight joint condition and promoted soft skin.